Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Would Like to Have Better Maps

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Would Like to Have Better Maps
Post by FreeTrav   » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:09 am

FreeTrav
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I have the megamap as of MT&T as a single 19MB JPEG, and I've found it quite useful. I'd find it more useful if there were a program that I could use to measure off distances on it - but that's my problem, not that of anyone here in the forums.

However, on close inspection, while I will accept that it is very nearly all of Safehold, it isn't absolutely all of Safehold - there's a chunk missing that would connect the right edge back to the left edge, and it's not clear that the top and bottom edges actually represent the poles - though my guess is 'no', because the map is within one pixel of being exactly twice as wide as it is tall, which implies that just as there's at least a small strip missing that would connect the left and right edges, there's a similar small amount missing that would include the exact poles.

Given the above... is there either a truly complete map of Safehold, or can someone be induced to provide same?
Post by Louis R   » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:02 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Most imaging programs, including Paint, will read off the cursor position in pixels, and the better ones will let you set a scale and read linear measures. Assuming the scale _inside_ the map, over the Markovian Sea, is accurate you can work out a pixel/mile conversion constant - only truly correct at the latitude of the scale, but probably usable enough up as far as Hsing-Wu's Passage.

I've been contemplating the 'what's missing' question for a bit, and the placement of the equator suggests that there's more missing in the north than the south. I agree that neither pole is shown. Assuming that the map is actually the Mercator projection it looks like - rather than a simple flat sketch - and making an arbitrary guess about exactly how much slightly smaller Safehold is, I would suggest that Hsing-Wu's Passage is at 55N-60N, or a little south of Hudson Straight in North America, which would be consistent with the navigation season we've been given.

FreeTrav wrote:I have the megamap as of MT&T as a single 19MB JPEG, and I've found it quite useful. I'd find it more useful if there were a program that I could use to measure off distances on it - but that's my problem, not that of anyone here in the forums.

However, on close inspection, while I will accept that it is very nearly all of Safehold, it isn't absolutely all of Safehold - there's a chunk missing that would connect the right edge back to the left edge, and it's not clear that the top and bottom edges actually represent the poles - though my guess is 'no', because the map is within one pixel of being exactly twice as wide as it is tall, which implies that just as there's at least a small strip missing that would connect the left and right edges, there's a similar small amount missing that would include the exact poles.

Given the above... is there either a truly complete map of Safehold, or can someone be induced to provide same?
Post by SWM   » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:03 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

FreeTrav wrote:I have the megamap as of MT&T as a single 19MB JPEG, and I've found it quite useful. I'd find it more useful if there were a program that I could use to measure off distances on it - but that's my problem, not that of anyone here in the forums.

This is the most complete map that David has released. It is a modified version of the map he uses himself.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by FreeTrav   » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:25 pm

FreeTrav
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

SWM wrote:This is the most complete map that David has released. It is a modified version of the map he uses himself.

Actually, the downloadable older (pre-MT&T) map seems to have the missing east/west strip, though some of the land masses, especially in the extreme north and south, are a bit different. I suspect that a bit of careful resizing work on the older map, followed by some layerizing and cutpasting, will serve to fill things in nicely - assuming that there's no textev that suggests (or outright states) that the long narrow peninsula extending south from western Trellheim is wrong...

Return to Safehold