Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Long term consequences of the League's collapse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Long term consequences of the League's collapse
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:14 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:The currency they use is the Solarian dollar (assuming that's what it's called and that it's what's backed by the government (more or less even if the federal government isn't printing its own money)). Why would those systems still use SL currency when there is no SL anymore? The money will be worthless (like USC money is worthless as money). It seems like people don't think the currency isn't going to get devalued in the collapse of the federal government. Why would the SL currency survive the fall of the SL itself?

99.999999999999% or so of Honorverse "money" is digital balances. Changing a balance from SL Credits to Manticoran Dollars is about as difficult as changing my digital bathroom scale from pounds to kilograms or converting Degrees Fahrenheit to degrees Celsius on my calculator. I don't recall any textev of a Solarian equivalent of the US Federal Reserve; the Solarian Credit is a "free market currency" as far as I can tell.

The Solarian League has no more ability to "print money" than the UN does.

Zakharra wrote:It seems to be an assumption that those same worlds would welcome Manticore's ships back (and the monopoly those ships held on the economy). A smart system/polity would limit the number of Manty ships that could haul its goods so to not be held by the balls (forgive the terminology) like the SL was.

You are advocating a form of Protectionism -- generally a tactic that does more harm than good.

It is quite possible that various polities will subsidize the building of freighters and formation of freight companies. That isn't going to change the MMM advantage in Wormhole access and fees.

Systems might not "welcome" the MMM back to carry their trade, but economics will ccause them to grit their teeth and smile rather than cede market share to others without such principled stands against MMM dominance.

Zakharra wrote:It seems like the biggest danger militarily in the Core will be the Core systems themselves, and those who reject or adhere to the federal system. Those systems with fleets (the more powerful SDFs and assuming the BF joins in on either side) will have a decided advantage, and it's been stated that a good number of the Core systems don't like other Core systems.

In the short-term, the relative size and capability of SDFs will be relevant. In the realm of this thread -- "Long term consequences of the League's collapse" -- the relevant factor will be mutual defense treaties with the GA, RF, AE, or other post-collapse polity and an "Armed Peace." All of the immediate Chaos and economic upset should be over with fairly quickly if the Renaissance Factor and "Harrington Doctrine" are carried out as planned.

Zakharra wrote: I'm just saying that while some people think the damage will be more or less minimal, it's far more likely to be messy as hell all around for all in the dying SL.

In the short-term, you may well be correct. It is going to be messy and in some cases tragic, but in the long-term the damage will have pretty much disappeared.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:53 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:Something to consider here when comparing the SL economy to the Great Depression or anything else, the SL is going to shatter. The government is going to cease functioning, entire groups of systems will be breaking away. It's going to literally be a total collapse of the federal government, how is that not going to result in the near total collapse of the economy as well?

No, it is not the collapse of the federal government. The Solarian League is not comparable to the federal government of the United States, or any other organization currently on Earth. 99% of all governance in the Solarian League takes place on the system level, not the League level. The League has almost no power over individual member governments. While it looks monumental, in reality it is just a loose affiliation. The Solarian League as a government actually has almost no effect on the economies of individual members. If you want to compare it to something, compare it to the collapse of a slightly stronger United Nations which has its own military but not much more power to govern its members.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Duckk   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:09 am

Duckk
Site Admin

99.999999999999% or so of Honorverse "money" is digital balances. Changing a balance from SL Credits to Manticoran Dollars is about as difficult as changing my digital bathroom scale from pounds to kilograms or converting Degrees Fahrenheit to degrees Celsius on my calculator. I don't recall any textev of a Solarian equivalent of the US Federal Reserve; the Solarian Credit is a "free market currency" as far as I can tell.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1950
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:28 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

SWM wrote:
Zakharra wrote:Something to consider here when comparing the SL economy to the Great Depression or anything else, the SL is going to shatter. The government is going to cease functioning, entire groups of systems will be breaking away. It's going to literally be a total collapse of the federal government, how is that not going to result in the near total collapse of the economy as well?

No, it is not the collapse of the federal government. The Solarian League is not comparable to the federal government of the United States, or any other organization currently on Earth. 99% of all governance in the Solarian League takes place on the system level, not the League level. The League has almost no power over individual member governments. While it looks monumental, in reality it is just a loose affiliation. The Solarian League as a government actually has almost no effect on the economies of individual members. If you want to compare it to something, compare it to the collapse of a slightly stronger United Nations which has its own military but not much more power to govern its members.

I think there to it than this. It's true as you say that SLN has no direct internal control over its members. But it was established for self protection and to promote trade. Anything that it does that either helps or hinders those areas is going to impact the internal economies of its members pretty dramatically. For example the League's inability to counter Lacoon 2 will hit the export markets of core systems and cause severe economic contraction and distress more comparable to great depression than the opec embargo in early 70s.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:46 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
SWM wrote:No, it is not the collapse of the federal government. The Solarian League is not comparable to the federal government of the United States, or any other organization currently on Earth. 99% of all governance in the Solarian League takes place on the system level, not the League level. The League has almost no power over individual member governments. While it looks monumental, in reality it is just a loose affiliation. The Solarian League as a government actually has almost no effect on the economies of individual members. If you want to compare it to something, compare it to the collapse of a slightly stronger United Nations which has its own military but not much more power to govern its members.

I think there to it than this. It's true as you say that SLN has no direct internal control over its members. But it was established for self protection and to promote trade. Anything that it does that either helps or hinders those areas is going to impact the internal economies of its members pretty dramatically. For example the League's inability to counter Lacoon 2 will hit the export markets of core systems and cause severe economic contraction and distress more comparable to great depression than the opec embargo in early 70s.

Don

Absolutely true. The member system economies will be hurt, which I have already said. But you will notice that even during the Great Depression, the government was able to fund massive new projects.
Post by drothgery   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:36 am

drothgery
Admiral

SWM wrote:Absolutely true. The member system economies will be hurt, which I have already said. But you will notice that even during the Great Depression, the government was able to fund massive new projects.
But the League's direct taxation power is extremely limited, and it seems clear that large-scale deficit spending is difficult if not impossible for the League (or the Mandarins would be far less worried about the short-term financial costs of Lacoon; they'd just borrow/print the money they need. If they win, they'll be able to pay back the loans eventually, and if they don't, then they'll have no need to pay them back because the League government won't exist anymore.).
Post by Zakharra   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:59 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
Zakharra wrote:The currency they use is the Solarian dollar (assuming that's what it's called and that it's what's backed by the government (more or less even if the federal government isn't printing its own money)). Why would those systems still use SL currency when there is no SL anymore? The money will be worthless (like USC money is worthless as money). It seems like people don't think the currency isn't going to get devalued in the collapse of the federal government. Why would the SL currency survive the fall of the SL itself?

Duckk answers this fairly well. The SL government had created money, it just put most of the management of it under federally chartered banks. If the economy tanks, the currency tanks, and if the federal government collapses, the economy is shot.

Zakharra wrote:It seems to be an assumption that those same worlds would welcome Manticore's ships back (and the monopoly those ships held on the economy). A smart system/polity would limit the number of Manty ships that could haul its goods so to not be held by the balls (forgive the terminology) like the SL was.

You are advocating a form of Protectionism -- generally a tactic that does more harm than good.

It is quite possible that various polities will subsidize the building of freighters and formation of freight companies. That isn't going to change the MMM advantage in Wormhole access and fees.

Systems might not "welcome" the MMM back to carry their trade, but economics will ccause them to grit their teeth and smile rather than cede market share to others without such principled stands against MMM dominance.

So they should just put themselves in the same position with Manticore controlling the single largest percentage of hulls carrying cargo in their territory as when it was the SL? Sorry. I'm not buying that. After what is happening, I can't see any of the new polities being willing to let one star system or a foreign polity have that much influence in their space and in their economy again if it decided to pull all shipping. Again.

Zakharra wrote:It seems like the biggest danger militarily in the Core will be the Core systems themselves, and those who reject or adhere to the federal system. Those systems with fleets (the more powerful SDFs and assuming the BF joins in on either side) will have a decided advantage, and it's been stated that a good number of the Core systems don't like other Core systems.

In the short-term, the relative size and capability of SDFs will be relevant. In the realm of this thread -- "Long term consequences of the League's collapse" -- the relevant factor will be mutual defense treaties with the GA, RF, AE, or other post-collapse polity and an "Armed Peace." All of the immediate Chaos and economic upset should be over with fairly quickly if the Renaissance Factor and "Harrington Doctrine" are carried out as planned.

You're making huge assumption there would be mutual defense treaties with the GA. If David Weber keeps the situation realistic, in all likelihood, most of the new polities won't have any mutual defense treaty with the GA. Why woudl they? The GA is directly (as they see it) responsible for the destruction of the SL. At the most there will likely be some sort of non-aggression treaty, but I do not see very many polities (the ones farther away will be more likely to be hostile or at the least, not inclined to be friendly) not have any sort of mutual defense treaty or trade pacts. I think most of them would want the GA to just leave them the hell alone. They're going to likely be more inclined to trust the RF over the GA. The RF is composed of former SL systems.

Zakharra wrote: I'm just saying that while some people think the damage will be more or less minimal, it's far more likely to be messy as hell all around for all in the dying SL.

In the short-term, you may well be correct. It is going to be messy and in some cases tragic, but in the long-term the damage will have pretty much disappeared.

/eyeroll

Of course in the long term (several decades out) things will hopefully have settled down. The long term for the SL though is it's dead. Long term for the former SL space? Broken up into several dozen star nations. Some large, some small, others independent. A fair number likely involved in empire building and a number of bush wars between them. You're assuming that there will be peace in the long run. There might be, several hundred years later, but unless someone is willing to stomp on any aggressor, and be seen as aggressors themselves,. From what I've heard of the Harrington Doctrine, the GA and Manrticore itself will very likely be seen as THE aggressor since the HD specifically aims to prevent any star polity from growing larger than the GA/Manticore likes. This means they -will- come into conflict when some of the new nations grow larger than the GA likes, especially if that nation isn't a fan of GA/Manticore. I can see that doctrine being the cause of wars and the cause for a LOT of animosity, anger and outright hatred directed against the GA/Manticore because the GA will be telling every star nation not in the GA that the GA/ Manticore itself, will be dictating how large those nations are allowed to get. That cannot go over well.
Post by Zakharra   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:13 am

Zakharra
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:

No. It is the collapse of the federal government. The entire edifice is starting to totter and it's going to fall and shatter. The federal government controls the ministries, which ARE the bureaucracies, which control regulations, the SLN FF/BF, regulate the money. Interstellar commerce is under federal control, not local system control. They do the licensing. In short, the federal government controls a hell of a lot. It's not as decentralized as you say. Certainly not only 1% control. No government can maintain control with only 1%. It seems like a fairly centralized government, with power concentrated in the ministries rather than the Assembly of Delegates.

Don't foreget that Admiral Tsang was of the opinion that Federal control did supersede local control, and from what I've seen in the books, that is by no means an isolated viewpoint. It seems to be very common in fact, that the federal government does have a lot of control and ways they can control systems, through use of economic warfare, access to warp termini, subtle and not so subtle pressure brought on by the FF and BF (Case Buccaneer for example).
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:35 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

drothgery wrote:
SWM wrote:Absolutely true. The member system economies will be hurt, which I have already said. But you will notice that even during the Great Depression, the government was able to fund massive new projects.
But the League's direct taxation power is extremely limited, and it seems clear that large-scale deficit spending is difficult if not impossible for the League (or the Mandarins would be far less worried about the short-term financial costs of Lacoon; they'd just borrow/print the money they need. If they win, they'll be able to pay back the loans eventually, and if they don't, then they'll have no need to pay them back because the League government won't exist anymore.).

I'm talking about the government of the member systems. You said that those systems will have economic crises. My point is that those system governments will be able to fund military expansion and R&D, even though their economies will be affected by Lacoon I and II.
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:43 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Zakharra wrote:
SWM wrote:No, it is not the collapse of the federal government. The Solarian League is not comparable to the federal government of the United States, or any other organization currently on Earth. 99% of all governance in the Solarian League takes place on the system level, not the League level. The League has almost no power over individual member governments. While it looks monumental, in reality it is just a loose affiliation. The Solarian League as a government actually has almost no effect on the economies of individual members. If you want to compare it to something, compare it to the collapse of a slightly stronger United Nations which has its own military but not much more power to govern its members.

No. It is the collapse of the federal government. The entire edifice is starting to totter and it's going to fall and shatter. The federal government controls the ministries, which ARE the bureaucracies, which control regulations, the SLN FF/BF, regulate the money. Interstellar commerce is under federal control, not local system control. They do the licensing. In short, the federal government controls a hell of a lot. It's not as decentralized as you say. Certainly not only 1% control. No government can maintain control with only 1%. It seems like a fairly centralized government, with power concentrated in the ministries rather than the Assembly of Delegates.

Don't foreget that Admiral Tsang was of the opinion that Federal control did supersede local control, and from what I've seen in the books, that is by no means an isolated viewpoint. It seems to be very common in fact, that the federal government does have a lot of control and ways they can control systems, through use of economic warfare, access to warp termini, subtle and not so subtle pressure brought on by the FF and BF (Case Buccaneer for example).

I believe you are grossly overestimating the power of the central League government. David has explicitly stated that the League government has very little effect on the daily activities of the populations of the member systems. General Tsang's opinion obviously was not shared by the member system which he was trying to bully, and that will be true throughout the League member systems.

Case Buccaneer was aimed at systems not in the League. And the League does not actually control any wormholes--that is held by individual systems.

Return to Honorverse