Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Problem at Baen.com

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Problem at Baen.com
Post by Henry Brown   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

I just tried to log into my account at Baen.com to get SoV. It tells me that because I have not logged in for over 4 months, my password has expired and I must request a temporary password in order to log in and reset my password. I did this, but they did not send me the temporary password via email. Has anybody else ran into this difficulty? Any suggestions?
Re: Problem at Baen.com
Post by Vince   » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Henry Brown wrote:I just tried to log into my account at Baen.com to get SoV. It tells me that because I have not logged in for over 4 months, my password has expired and I must request a temporary password in order to log in and reset my password. I did this, but they did not send me the temporary password via email. Has anybody else ran into this difficulty? Any suggestions?

I had this problem shortly after they switched over the website to the new system. Email them (tech support) with your username, email address and any other account information you may have so they can identify your old account and bring it up to date on the new system with a new temporary password.

Contact Baen
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Louis R   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:30 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

FYI, the direct address is baensupport@prinicipledtechnologies.com

And yes, a fair number of people have run into issues with the password reset mechanism. Some a**** seems to have signed up for email notifications from Baen, forgotten all about it and whinged to his ISP about spam. They've been digging out of that for a couple of years now, and then somebody [Yahoo, IIRC] decided to implement a literal reading of the relevant RFC that blocked the standard way of running mailing lists. Which popped a lot more people than just Baen into various blacklists.

All of which means that even putting Baen-related domains on your whitelist may not be enough to guarantee the password reset comes through.

Vince wrote:
Henry Brown wrote:I just tried to log into my account at Baen.com to get SoV. It tells me that because I have not logged in for over 4 months, my password has expired and I must request a temporary password in order to log in and reset my password. I did this, but they did not send me the temporary password via email. Has anybody else ran into this difficulty? Any suggestions?

I had this problem shortly after they switched over the website to the new system. Email them (tech support) with your username, email address and any other account information you may have so they can identify your old account and bring it up to date on the new system with a new temporary password.

Contact Baen
Post by Vince   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:05 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

Louis R wrote:FYI, the direct address is baensupport@prinicipledtechnologies.com

And yes, a fair number of people have run into issues with the password reset mechanism. Some a**** seems to have signed up for email notifications from Baen, forgotten all about it and whinged to his ISP about spam. They've been digging out of that for a couple of years now, and then somebody [Yahoo, IIRC] decided to implement a literal reading of the relevant RFC that blocked the standard way of running mailing lists. Which popped a lot more people than just Baen into various blacklists.

All of which means that even putting Baen-related domains on your whitelist may not be enough to guarantee the password reset comes through.

That must be why when I purchased gift certificates from Baen in the past, although I received the email confirming the order, I never received the email with the gift code. The codes would show up in my Baen account (perfectly usable by copying the code and pasting it in), but the email never made it to me. That seems to have changed when they switched over to their new system, as the emails with the gift codes are now making their way to my mail client's Inbox.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:59 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'd switched to using a different email address, so when this came up I just registered again rather than request a password reset. It worked fine.

I *could* have just reset the password, since I still have the old email account, but just decided not to.

Depending on your email provider, it could be that it was just delayed.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by Vince   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:25 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:I'd switched to using a different email address, so when this came up I just registered again rather than request a password reset. It worked fine.

I *could* have just reset the password, since I still have the old email account, but just decided not to.

If you registered again with a new email address, since the Baen website (for ebooks, the Bar is or used to be a separate login) uses your email address as your username for your account, wouldn't you lose access to any ebooks*, gift certificates and/or micropay balance you previously purchased?

* If for some reason you lost any previously downloaded ebooks or file format(s) thereof.
Post by OrlandoNative   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:12 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

Vince wrote:
OrlandoNative wrote:I'd switched to using a different email address, so when this came up I just registered again rather than request a password reset. It worked fine.

If you registered again with a new email address, since the Baen website (for ebooks, the Bar is or used to be a separate login) uses your email address as your username for your account, wouldn't you lose access to any ebooks*, gift certificates and/or micropay balance you previously purchased?

* If for some reason you lost any previously downloaded ebooks or file format(s) thereof.

Probably.

But since I didn't have any gift certificates, and never use micropay; and have all my ebooks backed up in mulitiple places and even on an Enterprise level storage server, it's probably not an issue in my case.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by Theemile   » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:31 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

OrlandoNative wrote:
Vince wrote:I'd switched to using a different email address, so when this came up I just registered again rather than request a password reset. It worked fine.

Glad to know someone else had the issue also - I tried to use the password reset link for about an hour before I just created a new account with a backup email address to get the earc.

By the way, the email address posted above by Louis K got bounced back. it appears it is not the appropriate address.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Louis R   » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:05 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

That's primarily because i typoed it :oops:

principled doesn't normally come with an i between the n & the c.

try baensupport@principledtechnologies.com

Theemile wrote:

Glad to know someone else had the issue also - I tried to use the password reset link for about an hour before I just created a new account with a backup email address to get the earc.

By the way, the email address posted above by Louis K got bounced back. it appears it is not the appropriate address.

Return to Honorverse