Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 12 guests

Interactive Honorverse Map

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Interactive Honorverse Map
Post by Valinor   » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Valinor
Midshipman

Hello Honorverse fans, I have been lurking for a while in this forum and I wanted my first post to be special. ;)

I would like to present a side project I am working on, an interactive web map for the Honorverse which for now is run as a local html page. My plan is to put it online some day when all the data is there.

If you are so excited that you want to check it right now you can download a zip file of the project from here: https://mega.nz/#!BJUQjR6A!_nqcmGYNrdpq ... b96J0QXPgY

Click "download with browser", extract and run the map.html to run.

OK, now let me explain how it all started.

Lurking in the forums I stumbled on the fantastic map made by the user SWM from this forum in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5544

I thought that there should be an interactive version of that map and the first step was to create a database of stars and the thought of extracting the info from the map into a usable form intrigued me. One evening later, by a process that I want to explain in it's own post, I had a JSON file of the stars and their position. A while later I adapted the map viewer, the original code of the map visor is not mine and is a heavily adapted version of this web: http://communitywarfare.herokuapp.com/, and started populating star names and in general putting everything I deemed important in the map.

Right now I am in the process of introducing the known information from each star: name, nation, etc but I am still a log way to having all this introduced as I want to be able to display as much information as possible.

I would like to know if the fan base is interested in this project, specially I would like to finish the data introduction and present the database to the community.

If there is interest I can set up some way to collaborate editing the data file as there is no need for special knowledge to edit it.

I would also appreciate if someone could indicate me where to find the banners of the various factions.

I know there are some mistakes in the data and I will appreciate your feedback.

Also, I have found some diferences in Chrome and FF does it work for everyone?

Thank you in advance.
Re: Interactive Honorverse Map
Post by SWM   » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Allow me to be the first to say, that is quite cool!

There is a lot of work left, but that is a great start. I wish I had the time to help out with it, but things are pretty busy just now. Maybe in a bit, though.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by 19chickens   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:53 am

19chickens
Ensign

Wow! This looks amazing, if a bit barren. I'd suggest looking at this map for the names of many unnamed stars.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:52 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

I took a look at it yesterday (Firefox on a Mac). The UI needs a lot of work, otherwise it's a nice start. I haven't tried to dig through the actual javascript yet, and may not get to it.

In particular, I like that it comes with a usable list of all the places. That list could help in generating new flat maps automatically. I've wanted maps that grow with the books as one reads each book, the map adds the places mentioned. That avoids spoilers.

That might have some updating to do when the new 3D maps come out, though, assuming they ever do.
Post by ksandgren   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:54 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Thank You! This is already gorgeous, though it would help if Yeltsins star and Medusa were named since they are so major to several of the books. The 19chickens reference would be a good source for info like that to add.
Post by SWM   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:18 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Valinor said in his original post that only a few of the stars have data input yet. And he asked for volunteers to help fill it in. It's a beta version, a work in progress.
Post by Valinor   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:09 pm

Valinor
Midshipman

19chickens wrote:Wow! This looks amazing, if a bit barren. I'd suggest looking at this map for the names of many unnamed stars.

For the moment i am introducing, slowly, the stars present in map SWM did and this map.

Both can be found at the honorverse glossary.

I started puting the info in the left half part of the map and going clockwise with some exceptions.

Ok, now some questions :roll:

:?: Asgard or Asgerd?
:?: All those stars inside the verge are truly neutral?
:?: Are the stars arround maya (wich are outside the verge zone) SL verge systems? Should Maya sector be its own faction now? Note to self: will have to reshuffle the faction data...
:?: Sankar, Lima and Ajax are what kind of SL system, old league/shell, protectorate or verge? In the second map I use they are marked with a color that is not in the legend.
:?: Is there some kind of info about how was silesia split? What planets went to who? Right now I have them marked as Silesian and whatever sector they are...

Some other points:
:arrow: Mesa... where the hell art thou?
:arrow: Yeltsin as its own faction or inside the Manticore Alliance member faction. I supose I will make Congo one too but then it opens the door to 300 factions and subfactions... As of now if they have a different flag they need a faction.
:arrow: When I finish this "current map" i might want to make diferent maps and show what was the political situation "was" then, that is why I am interested to see how silesia was split...
:arrow: Joshua or Sasebo, left or right of sol?

Currently I have set up my factions like this:
Factions:
ID:0 Name:Neutral
ID:1 Name:Solarian League - Core
ID:2 Name:Solarian League - Verge
ID:4 Name:Republic of Haven
ID:6 Name:Star Empire of Manticore - SKM
ID:7 Name:Star Empire of Manticore - Talbot
ID:8 Name:Star Empire of Manticore - Silesia
ID:10 Name:Manticoran Alliance System
ID:11 Name:Erewhon
ID:12 Name:Republic of Monica
ID:14 Name:Anderman Empire
ID:15 Name:Anderman Empire - Silesia
ID:20 Name:Silesian Confederacy - Silesia Sector
ID:21 Name:Silesian Confederacy - Carlton Sector
ID:22 Name:Silesian Confederacy - Hillman Sector
ID:23 Name:Silesian Confederacy - Posnan Sector
ID:24 Name:Silesian Confederacy - Sachsen Sector
ID:25 Name:Silesian Confederacy - Saginaw Sector
ID:26 Name:Silesian Confederacy - Terrance Sector
ID:27 Name:Silesian Confederacy - Tumult Sector
ID:28 Name:Silesian Confederacy - Breslau Sector

I think I might set :
3 as SL protectorate and rename 1 as SL Old league That will take care of most possibilities

Somewhere I will create a SL - Maya sector for those systems.
Move the Manticoran Alliance System to some other number to make space. Should Yeltsin be a subfaction of this or its own?

And maybe move all the small factions to the 30+ id. For example yeltsin, congo.

:?: Is there any point in having this in order or should I just put them wherever they appear... Changing the IDs later might be a PITA, specially if i go ahead and make diferent versions (by date) of this map...

:idea: Maybe I should leave more spaces and assign major factions its own decimal space... aka 1-9 SL, 20-29 silesia (dont want to move it :? ), 30-39 SKM etc etc

Wow, this post ended up being a list of things to do and it has made me think on some interesting ideas for the future... once I have put all data in.
Post by Joat42   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Seems that I'm not alone in the quest for an interactive map.

Valinor, look here for my project. I've got all the stars locations neatly recorded in an Excel document if you want them. I know how tedious it is to manually register all the locations.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by SWM   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:21 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Valinor wrote:Ok, now some questions :roll:

:?: Asgard or Asgerd?

Asgard. It is the most common spelling. It is also the spelling on the Tales of Honor map, which was taken from data from Tom Pope, of Ad Astra Games and BuNine. Asgard appears to be definitive.

:?: All those stars inside the verge are truly neutral?

Unlikely, but we have no knowledge of them.

:?: Are the stars arround maya (wich are outside the verge zone) SL verge systems? Should Maya sector be its own faction now? Note to self: will have to reshuffle the faction data...

Some definitely are, but some might not be. My map shows the nominal borders of the Solarian League, but not every system within those borders is actually in the League. We don't have enough information to distinguish which is which.

:?: Sankar, Lima and Ajax are what kind of SL system, old league/shell, protectorate or verge? In the second map I use they are marked with a color that is not in the legend.

Unknown.

:?: Is there some kind of info about how was silesia split? What planets went to who? Right now I have them marked as Silesian and whatever sector they are...

There are some hints, but nothing definitive. The northeast part went to Manticore and the southweast part to the Anderman Empire, but exactly how it is split is not officially revealed.

Some other points:
:arrow: Mesa... where the hell art thou?

You can get an approximate location by comparing the Talbott Cluster map from SoSag to my map. On the SoSag map is an arrow pointing toward Mesa, and a distance. Mesa is also marked on the "illegible map", but that map does not match anything on any previous maps. Both Sawa and I gave up trying to incorporate the "illegible map" into the composite, because it simply didn't fit with anything else.

:arrow: Yeltsin as its own faction or inside the Manticore Alliance member faction. I supose I will make Congo one too but then it opens the door to 300 factions and subfactions... As of now if they have a different flag they need a faction.

Up to you. If you go too far that direction, you end up with a different faction for almost every system outside the big multi-star powers.

:arrow: When I finish this "current map" i might want to make diferent maps and show what was the political situation "was" then, that is why I am interested to see how silesia was split...

It could be difficult. Technically, we do not even know the borders of the Republic of Haven currently, since a number of their systems wanted independence.

:arrow: Joshua or Sasebo, left or right of sol?

The system is definitely named Sasebo System; we hypothesize that Joshua is the name of the inhabited planet, but I don't think we have official confirmation.

The location is definitely to the west-southwest of Sol (i.e. left). This is official word according to Tom Pope, cited above, of BuNine.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:59 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

I'd avoid trying to do "factions" whatever they are. They probably belong to some game or other, but they don't correspond to anything I know of in the Honorverse.

As I mentioned above, I've been thinking of doing a series of maps to correspond to what we know of the Honorverse after each story. I was thinking of two series: a "p" series that corresponds to the known map after each book and anthology in publication order, as well as a "t" series that takes it after each story in timeline order. I didn't get very far because of the data entry; besides which I don't have the Ad Astra games maps, which appear to be canon. What you're doing with the JSON file would help if my project ever gets off the back burner. BTW - I was planning on doing them in SVG, which would allow decent scaling without having to have javascript or suchlike.

If this ever gets off the back burner, it might be a useful project. If someone else doesn't get to it first.

Return to Honorverse