Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests

?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: ?
Post by penny   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:36 pm

penny
Commodore

tlb wrote:
ThinksMarkedly wrote:Adding one more datum: the Beowulf defenders did not see the Hastas that the SLN did deploy until they started their missile stages.
Jonathan_S wrote:I got the impression it wasn't so much that the Beowulf defenders didn't see the Hasta as that they didn't realize they weren't part of the "hefty shells of recon drones" that they saw the League BCs put out.

(Which makes sense - Hasta is basically an RD drive strapped to a missile pod. And at those extreme ranges, and launched before Ghost Rider recon drones could vector in for a closer look, all the RD drives are likely going to look quite similar. Even once all the drive shut down a Hasta going ballistic isn't going to look all that different from an RD going ballistic)

So, as often seems to be the case in war, the surprise isn't something you never saw; but instead something that turned out not to be what you'd dismissed it as.

That was another bet missed in the defense of Galton: why didn't that mix of recon drones initially sent out, contain a large percentage of drones carrying grassers?

And why wasn't Honor concerned that they might all be carrying grasers or laser warheads?

The GA knows about the 3-second grasers?

The artist formerly known as cthia.

Now I can talk in the third person.
Post by penny   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:48 pm

penny
Commodore

Jonathan_S wrote:
penny wrote:Also, after loitering, getting a g-torp back up to speed shouldn't take that much energy, IMO. It is already a slow missile. Almost as slow as an LD. I imagine a g-torp reaches its max acceleration very early after launch, so a restart after loitering shouldn't require any significant power, nor would there be a rush to get back up to speed.

It reaches it's max accel shortly after launch (it's capable of "few hundred gravities’ acceleration"). But it's so low an accel it'd spend a lot of time accelerating up to whatever max speed is used for an attack run.

And if you want it to slow down so it can loiter in a given area it has to spend exactly as long slowing down. Spend 2 hours working up to about 21,000 KPS and you'll need to spend another 2 hours to cancel out all that velocity it built up in the original acceleration.

So I partially agree with tlb. I don't think they'd have design a g-torp with enough extra energy to allow it to run its drive for over twice as long as a normal attack profile. They'd have given it some margin to allow the drive to be brought back up for maneuvering if making very long range shots, but we're likely talking 10-15% extra time.

However since the drive can freely restart, and incorporate ballistic segments in its flight profile - the smart "AI" onboard should give plenty of flexibility to let a captain allocate the limited energy budge in more interesting ways than a continuous powered shot from whatever their design range was.
(Trading off energy lost to capacitor leakage rate against lower peak velocities from running the drive less.

So they should be free to:
* use 90% of its run time to build up velocity, and save 10% for terminal maneuvering.
* Or drop that down to, say, 80 or 85% run time and use the extra power saved by 5%-10% less engine runtime to cover the leakage drain during a nice long ballistic coast (and still have 10% left for terminal maneuvering).
* Or if they wanted to use, say 35% of its run time, then have a nice long coast, another 35% to slow down to loiter speed, have the extra power saved by using 20% less runtime to cover leakage drain during coast & loitering (and still have 10% left for terminal maneuvering)

And you can partially compensate for the lower max velocity by simply sneaking closer so the g-torp doesn't have as far to go after launch.

Note: You might also want a slow terminal speed if you need to get at a target that could be protected by the wedge block-ships seen at Beowulf.
You need your velocity low enough that the g-torps few hundred gravities of accel can pick its way through the gaps between the wedges (which might require a couple of near 90 degree turns to dogleg your way through -- and if you've too much velocity you hit the back wedge before you can change your vector enough to miss it). So you might want the flexibility to slow down even if you're not planning to loiter before attacking.

With this kind of flexibility a loiter attack wouldn't need to be a specific design goal -- and might still be somewhat possible anyway.

Is that written in stone? For a spider-drive I always assumed the opposite. Not based on textev, simply my own assumption. I always assumed, at least for a spider-drive, that decelerating would be much more efficient than accelerating. The ship simply has to toss out its anchors, tractors, that grab at the wall. It doesn't have to continuously reach for a new purchase point ahead of the ship as it does when accelerating. Which would be more in line with the movements of an Arachnid :D plus give it a bit more tactical mobility. I am not expecting an LD to stop on a dime, but I do expect its stopping distance to make a Porsche proud. Emergency acceleration. Emergency deceleration. Smell those brake pads? Textev?

Post by tlb   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:23 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:And why wasn't Honor concerned that they might all be carrying grasers or laser warheads?

penny wrote:The GA knows about the 3-second grasers?

They certainly should, since they saw them in action. From Mission of Honor:
Chapter 30 wrote:The weapons that were used on the space stations were another case entirely. At this point, it looks like they were probably some sort of throwaway, disposable version of our own Shrikes, although nobody in Admiral Hemphill's shop has the least clue how Manpower—excuse me, how whoever launched this attack—managed to cram a weapon that powerful into a remote platform. Or how they gave its graser that sort of pulse endurance. For all intents and purposes, though, it's basically only a longer-ranged version of our own Mistletoe
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:27 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Without a lot of luck, absolutely not. Beowulf would not have seen them. The only reason the GA saw them at Galton was because the GA were in a battle specifically against the Mesan Alignment (and not against the SL navy) and the GA knew for certain what they had better be prepared for. At Beowulf, everyone knew for a fact they were in a battle against the SLN. And... the web of GR drones the GA seeded throughout Galton dwarfed anything that would have been deployed at Beowulf as an afterthought. Plus! When you are in a battle with a navy whose wedges that you see, who has the time, wherewithal or motivation to worry about unseen ghosts.

I do agree that no one at the time was paying attention to the possibility of drones more stealthy than what the SLN had.

But see my reply above: nothing stops the GA, in their post-battle chores, from reviewing all the data that had been collected but possibly ignored. And nothing stops them from doing so now after they have the actual Galton data. The GRs from 1924 are roughly the same as the 1922 vintage -- in fact, considering that the RMN space stations were not yet running, the vast majority of GRs that the GF took to Galton were likely old hardware that was in storage. In so reviewing, can they determine whether they would have seen the Alpha Drones, if those had been present near the Mycroft stations?

I think they will review and they will make that determination. What I can't answer is whether the determination is "yes, we'd have seen them, therefore what attacked Beowulf wasn't an Alpha Drone, which is the best that Galton had" or "no, we wouldn't have seen them."
Post by tlb   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:38 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:It reaches it's max accel shortly after launch (it's capable of "few hundred gravities’ acceleration"). But it's so low an accel it'd spend a lot of time accelerating up to whatever max speed is used for an attack run.

And if you want it to slow down so it can loiter in a given area it has to spend exactly as long slowing down. Spend 2 hours working up to about 21,000 KPS and you'll need to spend another 2 hours to cancel out all that velocity it built up in the original acceleration.

penny wrote:Is that written in stone? For a spider-drive I always assumed the opposite. Not based on textev, simply my own assumption. I always assumed, at least for a spider-drive, that decelerating would be much more efficient than accelerating. The ship simply has to toss out its anchors, tractors, that grab at the wall. It doesn't have to continuously reach for a new purchase point ahead of the ship as it does when accelerating. Which would be more in line with the movements of an Arachnid :D plus give it a bit more tactical mobility. I am not expecting an LD to stop on a dime, but I do expect its stopping distance to make a Porsche proud. Emergency acceleration. Emergency deceleration. Smell those brake pads? Textev?

No, an LD could not stop on a dime; because you have the same human tolerance problem when decelerating, as when accelerating - no more than a few gravities.

If the spider drive just grabs a single purchase point and tries to stop, two things happen:
1) there is a sudden jerk that may exceed human limits.
2) As the distance to the purchase point increases (as the ship or missile moves past), then the grip weakens until it can no longer hold on. In order to come to a stop, then you have to continually grab at new points.

Obviously a missile is not affected by point one as much as a manned ship, but the second point means that the rates of acceleration or deceleration would be roughly the same.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:41 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:The GA knows about the 3-second grasers?

Sure. I'm sure someone had a chronometer when the graser torpedoes fired for 3 seconds.

Mission of Honor, ch. 30 wrote:"My own feeling, and Admiral Hemphill's tentative analysis supports the same conclusion, is that what we have to be looking at is some radically new propulsive system. The missiles used in this attack were essentially conventional weapons—variants on our own MDMs. Analysis of their maneuvers from the moment they brought their drivers up further suggests they were delivered in pods, probably coasted ballistically in to their launch points at a velocity of about point-two cee. The weapons that were used on the space stations were another case entirely. At this point, it looks like they were some sort of throwaway, disposable version of our own Shrikes, although nobody in Admiral Hemphill's shop has the least clue how Manpower—excuse me, how whoever launched this attack—managed to cram a weapon that powerful into a remote platform. Or how they gave its graser that sort of pulse endurance. For all intents and purposes, though, it's basically a longer-ranged version of our own Mistletoe, probably using whatever new drive technology their ships use instead of relying completely on stealth the way Mistletoe does."
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:50 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:Is that written in stone? For a spider-drive I always assumed the opposite. Not based on textev, simply my own assumption. I always assumed, at least for a spider-drive, that decelerating would be much more efficient than accelerating.

Yes. In the Honorverse, Newtonian acceleration still applies. Deceleration is just acceleration pointing the other way. Everything that we've seen has the exact same acceleration in whichever direction it's going.

It's possible for RFC to break this rule. The concept of an unmoving hyperwall (or co-moving with the system) is already far outside of our known Physics and does somewhat contradict Einstein. In particular, the limitation on transiting to hyperspace above 0.3c completely negates some of the principles of General Relativity. So there's an opening for the tractor grabs to be more efficient the higher the relative speed is. In this scenario, though, that would also apply during the acceleration phase. The instantaneous acceleration that the drive should be able to produce should be the same anyway.

The ship simply has to toss out its anchors, tractors, that grab at the wall. It doesn't have to continuously reach for a new purchase point ahead of the ship as it does when accelerating. Which would be more in line with the movements of an Arachnid :D plus give it a bit more tactical mobility. I am not expecting an LD to stop on a dime, but I do expect its stopping distance to make a Porsche proud. Emergency acceleration. Emergency deceleration. Smell those brake pads? Textev?

That's an interesting solution. Indeed the fact that the hyperwall is not moving could prove interesting. But then we have the problem of compensating acceleration for the vehicle, or lack of that. A crewed ship is limited to 150-210 gravities if it doesn't want to crush its crew; a missile's components could probably withstand more, but much more than a thousand gravities is still going to crush components.

More importantly, this doesn't seem to be what RFC wants to do.

We do know of one "throw the anchors:" the Long Manoeuvre. That does work, but only outside the hyperlimit. And it's not stealthy at all.
Post by penny   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:59 pm

penny
Commodore

tlb wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:It reaches it's max accel shortly after launch (it's capable of "few hundred gravities’ acceleration"). But it's so low an accel it'd spend a lot of time accelerating up to whatever max speed is used for an attack run.

penny wrote:Is that written in stone? For a spider-drive I always assumed the opposite. Not based on textev, simply my own assumption. I always assumed, at least for a spider-drive, that decelerating would be much more efficient than accelerating. The ship simply has to toss out its anchors, tractors, that grab at the wall. It doesn't have to continuously reach for a new purchase point ahead of the ship as it does when accelerating. Which would be more in line with the movements of an Arachnid :D plus give it a bit more tactical mobility. I am not expecting an LD to stop on a dime, but I do expect its stopping distance to make a Porsche proud. Emergency acceleration. Emergency deceleration. Smell those brake pads? Textev?

No, an LD could not stop on a dime; because you have the same human tolerance problem when decelerating, as when accelerating - no more than a few gravities.

If the spider drive just grabs a single purchase point and tries to stop, two things happen:
1) there is a sudden jerk that may exceed human limits.
2) As the distance to the purchase point increases (as the ship or missile moves past), then the grip weakens until it can no longer hold on. In order to come to a stop, then you have to continually grab at new points.

Obviously a missile is not affected by point one as much as a manned ship, but the second point means that the rates of acceleration or deceleration would be roughly the same.

As I said, I do not expect an LD to stop on a dime. I think perhaps you misread that.

However, it appears that the mechanics of accelerating and decelerating would be different for a spider-drive. As in inherently more efficient. When accelerating, a spider-drive has to continuously reach for a new purchase point ahead of the ship. Much like walking or crawling one has to put one foot ahead of the next, so forth and so on, on and on. But to stop -- much like what is depicted in cartoons, on the basketball court and for an ice skater -- one only has to stop both feet. Drag the feet, like what Fred Flintstone does when he just puts his feet down on the ground underneath the car.

When stopping, a spider-drive does not have to reach for a purchase point. It only has to drag its anchor as efficiently as it can. It can use the purchase points that are at the current position of the ship.

I see this possibility as exceeding what we might ordinarily think an emergency deceleration would entail. Again, more efficient than accelerating. IOW, an LD may be able to achieve deceleration in n-space that mimics a crash translation in h-space. Who cares if there is nausea and vomiting afterwards. Which I also posited the MA should have countered the effects of that with their research anyway.

Post by tlb   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:17 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:As I said, I do not expect an LD to stop on a dime. I think perhaps you misread that.

However, it appears that the mechanics of accelerating and decelerating would be different for a spider-drive. As in inherently more efficient. When accelerating, a spider-drive has to continuously reach for a new purchase point ahead of the ship. Much like walking or crawling one has to put one foot ahead of the next, so forth and so on, on and on. But to stop -- much like what is depicted in cartoons, on the basketball court and for an ice skater -- one only has to stop both feet. Drag the feet, like what Fred Flintstone does when he just puts his feet down on the ground underneath the car.

When stopping, a spider-drive does not have to reach for a purchase point. It only has to drag its anchor as efficiently as it can. It can use the purchase points that are at the current position of the ship.

I see this possibility as exceeding what we might ordinarily think an emergency deceleration would entail. Again, more efficient than accelerating. IOW, an LD may be able to achieve deceleration in n-space that mimics a crash translation in h-space. Who cares if there is nausea and vomiting afterwards. Which I also posited the MA should have countered the effects of that with their research anyway.

So you don't like it when I agree with you about the dime?

There is no dragging of an anchor, if it does not grab the alpha wall then it has done nothing and there is no deceleration. There is no efficiency gain that depends on where it grabs (anyway, for all we know the heads are fixed and the ship or missile has to flip end for end to slow down - that is something for the author to explain). Either way the process is the same: grab, tug and repeat until the proper speed is obtained (either zero or max).
Last edited by tlb on Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:47 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

penny wrote:
tlb wrote:That was another bet missed in the defense of Galton: why didn't that mix of recon drones initially sent out, contain a large percentage of drones carrying grassers?

And why wasn't Honor concerned that they might all be carrying grasers or laser warheads?

The GA knows about the 3-second grasers?

Considering all the Manticoran and Grayson targets that got hit with the g-torp 3-second grasers? Yes, I'd say they knew about them before Galton. (Even if you assume they wouldn't have gotten good data on their use at Beowulf)

And then at Galton they got hit with lower powered versions of them mounted to really big multistage missiles, which could just be squeezed into the Hasta III attack-pods.

So they knew about them before Galton and should be able to tell that the graser weapons Galton had didn't match up to the OB ones (or the ones used at Beowulf)

Return to Honorverse