Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Regeneration

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Regeneration
Post by Dauntless   » Sun May 01, 2016 8:45 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

wasn't there a mention by Alison that is was possible to check if a foetus already had the ness genes for regen and if not it could be fixed?

she was talking to Emily, early in at all costs maybe?

she checked roul's genes and noted that hamish's DNA had already "fixed " the no regen issue
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sun May 01, 2016 9:00 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:What I find far more remarkable, is that with regen people still flinch and are skittish about getting limbs shot off. From our perspective, regen is nothing short of magic, entire limbs capable of 'regrowing' in mere months. Regen basically turned everyone in Honorverse into a form of Deadpool, ala cutting his own hand off to avoid getting dragged off by Colossus. But the thought of losing a limb still seems to be pretty scary for them, even after the fact they shrug it off far faster.

They flinch from a very painful injury that will be followed by several awkward and painful months as their limb is grown. Shocking. ;)
Plus a the process of regrowing a limb probably messes with any well practiced skills (martial arts, sports, musical instruments, etc, etc) because the new limb doesn't initially have the conditioning the original had; plus you've had the months of you badly attempting to adjust your reactions for the constantly growing limb. You can retrain and recover that skill, most likely, but it's one more issue to deal with.

Heck today simple broken bones that roughly that long to heal; most people still seem skittish about breaking them and having to deal with the pain, and the annoyance of being in a cast.

Doesn't surprise me that they'd still really want to avoid (temporary) limb loss.
Post by Kytheros   » Sun May 01, 2016 10:35 am

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
Somtaaw wrote:What I find far more remarkable, is that with regen people still flinch and are skittish about getting limbs shot off. From our perspective, regen is nothing short of magic, entire limbs capable of 'regrowing' in mere months. Regen basically turned everyone in Honorverse into a form of Deadpool, ala cutting his own hand off to avoid getting dragged off by Colossus. But the thought of losing a limb still seems to be pretty scary for them, even after the fact they shrug it off far faster.

They flinch from a very painful injury that will be followed by several awkward and painful months as their limb is grown. Shocking. ;)
Plus a the process of regrowing a limb probably messes with any well practiced skills (martial arts, sports, musical instruments, etc, etc) because the new limb doesn't initially have the conditioning the original had; plus you've had the months of you badly attempting to adjust your reactions for the constantly growing limb. You can retrain and recover that skill, most likely, but it's one more issue to deal with.

Heck today simple broken bones that roughly that long to heal; most people still seem skittish about breaking them and having to deal with the pain, and the annoyance of being in a cast.

Doesn't surprise me that they'd still really want to avoid (temporary) limb loss.

Plus, you can only get the limb regenerated if you survive loosing the limb in the first place. Loosing a limb is a dangerous thing to have happen to you.
Post by Somtaaw   » Sun May 01, 2016 11:19 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Kytheros wrote:Plus, you can only get the limb regenerated if you survive loosing the limb in the first place. Loosing a limb is a dangerous thing to have happen to you.

In today's modern environment, it is said "there are no shop teachers, only ones that cannot work" or something to that regard. Essentially the only reason Canadian, and presumably American, and Western Europe high schools ever get (tech)shop teachers is because they lose a limb or other injuries preventing them from real work. Otherwise they wouldn't get the much lower pay of being a teacher when they could be out making way way more, doing real work and be surrounded by non-students.

Sarnow was out of the picture after Hancock, pretty much lost both legs at the hips. Travel time between Hancock and Manticore is approximately 2-3 weeks, and by the time Sarnow did his little presentation which resulted in McKeon and Cardones dropping Marines onto Summervale, was a few months and he had stumps again. Call it a nice even 4-6 months after the injury and he was alert and semi-mobile thanks to the wheelchair. Capable of limited activity, although admittedly Sarnows Chief of Staff was worried about him, we don't know exactly why. Within a year Sarnow would have been seeing the physiotherapists to get used to the regenerated legs and within another 6 months be ready to get back into space. Call it 2 years in case of complications, which goes well with how Honor spent about 2 years to deal with the replacement of her face, two rejections, and the therapies.

But going back to the original intent, there are a LOT of ways to injury yourself in the civilian workplace, and in the Honorverse Navy there's even more, a prime example, Bosun MacBride on the CL Fearless had her entire pelvic region crushed under an 80-something TON missile, she disappeared until her return for Flag in Exile aboard the Wayfarer. Presmably she had at least one post between the two ships, because that was a gap of 8 years and she was moving easily and even confident enough to threaten to beat the snot out of Stileman if he wanted to try his luck with her again, not the mark of someone just out of therapy and BuMed's clutches.
Last edited by Somtaaw on Sun May 01, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Dauntless   » Sun May 01, 2016 11:25 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:
Within a year Sarnow would have been seeing the physiotherapists to get used to the regenned [regened? what would the past tense be?] legs and within another 6 months be ready to get back into space.

not sure you could use either of those. it is longer but for clarity you are probably best using REGENERATED.
Post by Somtaaw   » Sun May 01, 2016 11:57 am

Somtaaw
Rear Admiral

Dauntless wrote:
Somtaaw wrote:
Within a year Sarnow would have been seeing the physiotherapists to get used to the regenned [regened? what would the past tense be?] legs and within another 6 months be ready to get back into space.

not sure you could use either of those. it is longer but for clarity you are probably best using REGENERATED.

I wasn't quite sure what the proper word or tense would be, I'll amend the post, thank you.
Post by Kytheros   » Sun May 01, 2016 12:37 pm

Kytheros
Rear Admiral

Somtaaw wrote:
Kytheros wrote:Plus, you can only get the limb regenerated if you survive loosing the limb in the first place. Loosing a limb is a dangerous thing to have happen to you.

In today's modern environment, it is said "there are no shop teachers, only ones that cannot work" or something to that regard. Essentially the only reason Canadian, and presumably American, and Western Europe high schools ever get (tech)shop teachers is because they lose a limb or other injuries preventing them from real work. Otherwise they wouldn't get the much lower pay of being a teacher when they could be out making way way more, doing real work and be surrounded by non-students.

Sarnow was out of the picture after Hancock, pretty much lost both legs at the hips. Travel time between Hancock and Manticore is approximately 2-3 weeks, and by the time Sarnow did his little presentation which resulted in McKeon and Cardones dropping Marines onto Summervale, was a few months and he had stumps again. Call it a nice even 4-6 months after the injury and he was alert and semi-mobile thanks to the wheelchair. Capable of limited activity, although admittedly Sarnows Chief of Staff was worried about him, we don't know exactly why. Within a year Sarnow would have been seeing the physiotherapists to get used to the regenerated legs and within another 6 months be ready to get back into space. Call it 2 years in case of complications, which goes well with how Honor spent about 2 years to deal with the replacement of her face, two rejections, and the therapies.

But going back to the original intent, there are a LOT of ways to injury yourself in the civilian workplace, and in the Honorverse Navy there's even more, a prime example, Bosun MacBride on the CL Fearless had her entire pelvic region crushed under an 80-something TON missile, she disappeared until her return for Flag in Exile aboard the Wayfarer. Presmably she had at least one post between the two ships, because that was a gap of 8 years and she was moving easily and even confident enough to threaten to beat the snot out of Stileman if he wanted to try his luck with her again, not the mark of someone just out of therapy and BuMed's clutches.

I'm not saying that loosing a limb is instantly fatal ... but you do need to get medical attention very quickly.
Also, I suspect most shop instructors have had smaller injuries, ie, more on the order of lost fingers, rather than high limb amputations.

Even saying you're right about the recovery timeline, that's still two years of intensive medical care and recovery therapy.
Is there any particular reason you can think of to not want to avoid the need to undergo that?
Post by saber964   » Sun May 01, 2016 10:31 pm

saber964
Admiral

Kytheros wrote:
Somtaaw" quote="Kytheros wrote:Plus, you can only get the limb regenerated if you survive loosing the limb in the first place. Loosing a limb is a dangerous thing to have happen to you.

I'm not saying that loosing a limb is instantly fatal ... but you do need to get medical attention very quickly.
Also, I suspect most shop instructors have had smaller injuries, ie, more on the order of lost fingers, rather than high limb amputations.

Even saying you're right about the recovery timeline, that's still two years of intensive medical care and recovery therapy.
Is there any particular reason you can think of to not want to avoid the need to undergo that?[/quote]

You guys know absolutely nothing about shop teachers. In my HS not one suffered from any type of injury. Our Auto Shop teacher had 10 years experience before becoming a teacher and restored cars as a hobby, Wood shop 15 years and made high end custom furniture during the summer months. Metal Shop was a certified welder, machinist and foundry with 17 years experience.
Post by kzt   » Mon May 02, 2016 2:31 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:You guys know absolutely nothing about shop teachers. In my HS not one suffered from any type of injury. Our Auto Shop teacher had 10 years experience before becoming a teacher and restored cars as a hobby, Wood shop 15 years and made high end custom furniture during the summer months. Metal Shop was a certified welder, machinist and foundry with 17 years experience.

I've only noticed a trend towards missing fingers etc with the guys who service our elevators (factory techs). And it's not universal, but at least 50% seem to have had a very bad day once.
Post by Annachie   » Mon May 02, 2016 4:40 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Industrial injuries can be a fun topic.

One of the Time Team regulars grew up in I think it was Manchester and had a mother who worked the looms in a textile mill.
In an epidode he said that neither his mother, nor any of her loom working friends, had all their fingers.

I don't know an old telephone exchange tech who doesn't have hearing loss (including myself)

Similar with fingers and rail yard workers.

Makes me wonder how that extends into various Honorverse planets.
We've seen one example in the Talbot sector (the name escapes me)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Honorverse